Tuesday, January 25, 2011
No repeats of tonight...please!!!
Well, it is 7:30pm in our house and all the kids are in bed. For some people this may be a normal thing, but in this house I feel lucky if they are all in bed by 9:00 pm. But tonight was one of those nights and I was just done. Udine won't be home until after 11:00 and I just can't handle anything right now. What is my problem!!?? The day started fine, I was going to go grocery shopping in the morning with the two little ones, but when I saw the snow I decided to shovel first. Which turned into a shoveling/play time in the snow for the little ones. Which was fun, but it's exhausting pulling those two on a sled!! Anyway, I spent too much time outside so I didn't have time to shop before naps, etc. Which was fine, I figured I'd go out later. The older boys walked to their cousins house after school to play, so I had a little break from them, but that also meant I couldn't sneak out for a half hour while Mia was asleep. Anyway, the older boys get home and they needed to eat right away because I had to be somewhere by 6:00. I gave them plenty of time, but instead of eating they were just goofing off. Which is fine sometimes, but since there was a need to get food in their belly's so we could get out the door, I wasn't in the mood for it today. After asking nicely multiple times for them to calm down and just eat I finally just yelled. Which unfortunately got the reaction I needed from them. But the second I turned my back milk was spilling out of Diego's mouth because they were screwing around again. I lost it again and he was in time out until we had to leave. Anyway, I run my errand and then decide to stop at walmart to pick up those groceries I never got to this morning. That was a mistake! I HATE shopping with all four of the kids. The older two were wired and just goofing around, which is fine to a point, but not when it bothers other people. Then there was Luca and Mia....Luca HAS to sit in the cart, which is usually fine because Mia likes to walk. But things were taking way too long, her little legs wanted to sit for a while. So I took Luca out and put her in. Which started a screaming fit from Luca, I could not calm the kid down. We were then in the toy section so Mia wanted to get out, so I took her out and put Luca back in which fixed Luca's screams. But then Mia wouldn't walk with me because she wanted to play with the toys. So I had to grab her and carry her like a football in one arm and push the cart with the other. I was furious. The older boys could tell, so by this point they were quietly following. I check out and Luca starts crying that he didn't get a treat. (When we first got there I talked about getting one) But I told him when they throw fits and make bad choices no one gets treats. So there I am with Luca and Mia screaming and Diego and Alessandro doing who knows what behind me as we walk to the car. When we were in the car Alessandro hit a water bottle diego was drinking out of and smashed into Diego's mouth which hurt him and also spilled the water all over him. That was the last straw. When we got home I made them all get ready for bed, clean up, get ready for tomorrow and they are now in bed. Part of me feels really bad, but I don't know what else to do. I could put them in front of the tv but that would be rewarding the bad behavior. Ugh, what a night. And then I just read Jana's blog about being sentimental and it made me feel even worse for being like this. I really do love my kids and I love the stages they are in. And like her, I wish time could slow down a bit. But for today, I guess I just couldn't handle it. Talk about feeling like a lousy mother. Not one of my best moments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was so impressed in the beginning when you said everyone was in bed by 7:30 (I only have one, and sometimes we don't get Claire to bed until 9!) And then I read about your day, and man, did you need a 7:30 bed time! I was just at Target with Claire yesterday, and I literally could hear a child screaming across the store. I finally came across this mother whose little girl was sitting on the floor having a temper tantrum, screaming at the top of her lungs. The mother was standing there, patiently waiting (maybe feeling embarassed) until the tantrum was over. Claire said "she sad", and then I told her that yes, the girl was sad, but also that sometimes being a mom is hard. I felt so proud of that mom, not giving in to her child, whatever it was that this girl was having a tantrum about. And bravo to you, too, for not taking the bad behavior any longer, not giving treats, and not giving tv time. Because, yes, we love our kids, but sometimes being a mom is hard.
ReplyDeleteWe all have those moments, you don't have to feel bad. I wish I could have my kids in bed by 7:30 every night! I'm just glad to hear you're normal. I don't know how you're doing it with Udine gone so much.
ReplyDelete