Friday, October 9, 2009
Struggles
This week was parent/teacher conferences and this time of year just seems to make me sad. Diego is such a hard worker and he puts so much time and effort in trying to learn, but it is all so difficult for him! Last year we were able to have him tutored for reading and by the end of the year he caught up to where he was suppose to be. But already he is behind again. Only by a little, but still, that is just the beginning. We read everyday for at least 20 min. It's not something he loves to do, so it is a struggle, but he does it. He's not far enough behind for the school to help him, which is a totally different topic in itself. Why do they wait for a child to be SO far behind before they even consider having him helped!! Anyway, it's not just reading, everything is hard for him. My heart breaks for him. I worry for the future and what that will bring. Maybe I am over reacting a little but I think it's because I know what it's like to have a disability and to study your absolute hardest and for so long only to pull off a C. It's crushing. And no matter how proud your parents are of you because for you, that really is good, deep down inside you know it's really not that great. I don't want him to experience those feelings of failure and frustration. As a parent it is so hard for me to see him work so hard and still not get the concepts. I guess it's just hard to watch your child struggle, I wish things could be easier for him. I want him to be happy...and I hope that he is. He can tell he's a little different, but at this point he doesn't let it get to him. I hope he keeps that attitude the rest of his life. I guess through our challenges we all learn something and I know he is learning hard work and dedication. It's a fight everyday to get work done (I can't blame him, I'd hate doing what is hard also), but he is definitely a good worker!! And I think this trial has made him much more compassionate towards others and their feelings. So good things do come out of trials, but as his mom, I still can't help but wish life was just a little easier for him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Everything I would have responded you said at some point in your post. On the teaching end (though I'm high school) I see kids come in that have made it all the way to high school and haven't gotten the help they need. As a teacher sometimes I don't know what's really going on. So don't ever let up. In education there are so many rules and procedures to follow. So even as a teacher when I've thought someone needs the help, sometimes the higher up powers that be say they don't. So as a parent, never stop advocating for Diego. Even if the school says otherwise. Don't get complacent like so many parents that I see do and take what is being said at face value by the school so they stop pushing. I understand why there needs to be a system in place at the school and maybe the help your giving Diego is what's keeping him from that extra help because right now it is enough, but never stop noticing and advocating for him in the event that things get worse. Actually, some kids grow out of their struggles - I've taught a few - but you will always know more than the school does. You're teaching him the best lessons about education right now at home: things that are worth it are worth working for. That learning doesn't end when they leave the school walls. :) Love ya! You're a good mom and don't give up!
ReplyDelete